Swiftlet farming rules to be out in two months
Thursday April 1, 2010
By OH ING YEEN
THE state government will come up with guidelines on swiftlet farming within two months, Kajang Municipal Council (MPKj) president Datuk Hassan Nawawi Abdul Rahman said at the full board meeting yesterday.
He was replying to councillor Tan Han Kuo’s question about guidelines for swiftlet farming as Tan said he had received complaints from residents.“The swiftlet farming issue is not serious in Kajang. It is carried out in commercial areas in Semenyih and, as far as I know, there are no such activities in residential areas,” he said.
On the issue of abandoned houses, councillor Lee Ah Seng said he once called a houseowner informing him that the council will take action to rid the premises of overgrown weeds. “However, the owner threatened to sue us for trespassing into private property,” he said.
Hassan said that a permit could be applied for cleaning the compound.“The owner will first be informed and if there is no action taken to clear the compound, MPKj has the right to enter the premises to clean the area and the cost will be charged to the owner. The police will also be informed,” he said. Hassan also said that senior citizens and the disabled in Kajang will enjoy free bus services next year.
“The community bus service, which costs RM200,000 a year, will be done via a privatisation programme. “It is currently in the planning stages. There will be 60 pick-up points and so far 30 have been identified, including the Menara MPKj and the Kajang hospital. “The locations are proposed by the company and the council will make the final decision for the location of the other pick-up points,” he said.
On the issue of collecting rent from night market vendors, Hassan said that the council is looking into revising the rent collection methods. The rates will also be reduced from the current RM5 to RM4. “Instead of having MPKj officers collecting the rent daily, we are looking into allowing the market organisers to carry out the collection.
“The state government decides on the collection rates, the council only decides on the method of collection,” he said. Meanwhile, councillor S. T. Chandramohan suggested that councillors be part of the crime lab programme in the Safe City initiative by the Housing and Local Government ministry.
In reply to the issue of old mini buses raised by a few councillors, Hassan said that the council will submit a list of old mini buses, particularly those over 15 years, to the Commercial Vehicles Licensing Board and Road Transport Department soon – BERNAMA